Weblogic 5.1 has a bug in the implementation of
pageContext.getAttribute(String, int).  It can't find
the application scope message resource.  I had to edit
the struts source to call my own method instead of
pageContext.getAttribute(String, int).

object myGetAttribute(String attrib, int scope,
javax.servlet.jsp.PageContext pageContext) {
  case PageContext.APPLICATION_SCOPE:
     return
pageContext.getServletContext().getAttribute(String)

etc...

You can do a test by putting something into
application scope in a JSP page with the application
object and retrieve it, but if you try to retrieve it
with the pageContext.getAttribute(String, int) you
will get an error.

David Winterfeldt

P.S. - I think this might be fixed in v6.0.  It was a
known bug.

--- HT Levine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi.  I am new to using struts.  I requested the FAQ
> for this mailgroup and
> apparently there isn't one.  I am using version 0.5
> with Weblogic5.1 and
> trying to run the example application.  I am getting
> the following
> stacktrace. It seems the
> ApplicationResources.properties files is not being
> found?  I put this in the org.apache.stuts.example
> directory with the .class
> files?  ANy  help you can give is much appreciated.
>

> Wed Dec 27 08:46:26 PST 2000:<E>
> <ServletContext-General> Root cause of
> ServletException
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at

weblogic.servlet.jsp.PageContextImpl.getAttribute(PageContextImpl.java:159)
>         at

org.apache.struts.taglib.IfAttributeMissingTag.doStartTag(IfAttributeMissing
> Tag.java:94)
>         at

jsp.index_45_example._jspService(index_45_example.java:83)
>         at

weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspBase.service(JspBase.java:27)
>         at

> :124)
>         at

> :142)
>         at

weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invokeServlet(ServletContextImp
> l.java:744)
>         at

weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invokeServlet(ServletContextImp
> l.java:692)
>         at

weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextManager.invokeServlet(ServletContext
> Manager.java:251)
>         at

weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.invokeServlet(MuxableSocketHTTP.java:363)
>         at

weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.execute(MuxableSocketHTTP.java:263)
>         at
weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:120)