Actually what you've described applies for any tag
lib. My approach is use Struts (or any tag lib)
selectively. For example, I would use <html:form> tag
but use HTML for the input elements. Instead of using
<bean:write>, I would use scriptlets to print the
information. Same goes for tags like
<logic:ifPresent>, <logic:ifNotPresent>, etc...