"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> DONNIE HALE wrote:
>
> > Tom,
> >
> > First, the web.xml file isn't parsed by the ActionServlet; it's parsed by the
>servlet engine when it's initializing a web application (web.xml is part of the
>standard for defining the properties/characteristics of a "web application"). It
>should be completely parsed and accepted as correct by the time ActionServlet.init()
>is called, during which the struts-config.xml file is parsed.
> >

> Actually, a recent change to ActionServlet means that it *does* do a non-validating
>parse of web.xml as well (to figure out what <servlet-mapping> it is invoked under).
>This is necessary to make correct recognition of the action attribute in <html:form>
>work on path-mapped servlets.
>
> Struts includes a local copy of the struts-config DTD file, and Tomcat 3.2.1
>includes a local copy of the web.xml DTD file -- which should both be used when you
>specify a public identifier that matches (as it appears you are doing).  Have you by
>any chance changed the parser that came with Tomcat (jaxp.jar and parser.jar), or
>tried to put a parser in your WEB-INF/lib directory?
>
> Craig

Re: jaxp.jar and parser.jar, I have been all over the map trying to get my Visual Age
for Java environment working with Struts again. But I started clean with fresh
installations of Tomcat 3.2.1 and Struts build of Feb. 20, no edits and running
totally independent of VAJ. I drop the struts-example into webapps and start up, not
logged onto the Internet.

I can see in the debug trace that the struts_config_1_0.dtd resolving to the local
copy as you explained. But when it comes time for web_app_2_2.dtd, the SAXParser
throws a fatal error. After that, I can access the index.jsp of the example, but login
with "user" and "pass" yields an HTTP 404. If I enter registration info and attempt to
submit it, again HTTP 404.

When I restart after loggin on to the Internet, the example application works as
expected. Do you think something is broken?
--
Tom Miller
Miller Associates, Inc.