On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, William Jaynes wrote:

> I find that application reloading with Tomcat 4 b1 simply doesn't work for me,
>although others on
> this list seem to have no problem. (I do notice that Tomcat 4 isn't in the
>installation special
> instructions list). I would appreciate any help.
>
> I have tomcat configured as follows:
> - I had to move crimson.jar and jaxp.jar  from the jasper directory into the lib
>directory. This per
> Keith Kee (http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg05043.html)

Essentially, this makes the XML parser available to all webapps without
having to include it in WEB-INF/lib.

> - My app directory isn't under that default tomcat4 webapps, so I have the following
>in the
> servlet.xml
>   <Context path="/physicianaudit"
>                          docBase="E:/apps/physicianaudit"
>                          debug="0"
>                          reloadable="true" >
>   </Context>

That's fine.

> - I have my source files in one place, and use Ant to compile the class files into
>the
> WEB-INF/classes directory of my application.

Yes, /WEB-INF/classes of your app is the *only* place you can put classes
that should trigger automatic reloading.

> If I recomple a file, Tomcat4 does not reload the application. It never seems to
>notice that
> anything has changed.

Reloading is normally checked only once every 15 seconds.  Have you waited
long enough?  Have you confirmed that nothing at all is written to the
Tomcat log files?

> I have also tried reloading explicitly, using a url like
> http://localhost:8080/manager/reload?path=/physicianaudit
> But after invoking this url and going back to the application, I get a servlet
>exception
>     java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.struts.util.PropertyMessageResources
>
> I am at a loss to understand why reloading works for everyone else and not for me.
>I've tried to
> follow all instructions. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

That sounds like it might be a Tomcat issue.  I will look at it in more
detail.

> Will Jaynes

Craig