Ok, I just grabbed the struts nightly source from 4-27 and built it and
sprinkled loadLocale() with println()'s. I got the same errors. Very true
that if loadLocale does not find the file, it will not trap the error.

-----------My jsp page printed this --------------------------
500 Internal Server Error
javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Cannot find message resources under key
org.apache.struts.action.MESSAGE        at
org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.message(RequestUtils.java:292)      at
org.apache.struts.taglib.bean.MessageTag.doStartTag(MessageTag.java:239)        at
/index.jsp._jspService(/index.jsp.java:148) (JSP page line 129) at
com.orionserver[Orion/1.4.8 (build
10374)].http.OrionHttpJspPage.service(Unknown Source)   at
com.evermind[Orion/1.4.8 (build 10374)]._aj._nxd(Unknown Source)        at
com.evermind[Orion/1.4.8 (build
10374)].server.http.JSPServlet.service(Unknown Source)  at
com.evermind[Orion/1.4.8 (build 10374)]._iib._vfd(Unknown Source)       at
com.evermind[Orion/1.4.8 (build 10374)]._iib._qjc(Unknown Source)

In the loadLocale() I got this on my console after starting my app server.
The name line is the properties files being found, obviously my
~/WEB-INF/classes/cais.properties (configured in my web.xml) is not being
found.

Anyone know right off where I should be looking in order to find this stuff.

cassia(build):/u/public/orion# java -jar orion.jar
Auto-unpacking /u/build/release/cais.ear... done.
Auto-unpacking /u/build/release/cais/cais-web.war... done.
Auto-deploying cais (Assembly had been updated)...
Auto-deploying cais-ejb.jar (ejb-jar.xml had been touched since the previous
deployment)... done.
Orion/1.4.8 initialized
Auto-deploying CAIS (Assembly had been updated)...
name = org/apache/struts/util/LocalStrings_en_US.properties
name = org/apache/struts/util/LocalStrings_en.properties
name = org/apache/struts/util/LocalStrings.properties
key = message.bundle
key = lookup.bean
key = lookup.target
key = lookup.scope