that would definitely work. however, it adds another class to the mix
of things. something that was easy was made difficult to do. basically
for something using just JSP is a cinch.

my options are: add the new action and a new class, maybe add a new
action that doesn't validate the form but refer to the same class?,
or add a default attribute to the html:text tag.

will have to think about it i guess.

jae