You can check if there is an errors object in scope
using the logic tags to change the color of a label.

      <logic:present name="<%=
org.apache.struts.action.Action.ERROR_KEY %>"
scope="request">
        red label1
      </logic:present>
      <logic:notPresent name="<%=
org.apache.struts.action.Action.ERROR_KEY %>"
scope="request">
        blue lable2
      </logic:notPresent>

If you want to display the error message next to a
field, you can do this.  This will display all error
messages that have been set for the 'name' property.

David