Justin,

Struts is different than many software "products" in that it is not "black
box" technology.

For example, as a developer I wouldn't want to get into the internals of
Apache or Tomcat - I just want to understand how to configure and manage it.
Most companies dont employ people who develop Web Servers or Servlet
Containers, so then product support becomes an issue, and managers such as
yours understand that scenario.

The difference with Struts is that being a "framework" it is just providing
the infrastructure of a project that in the past developers such as
ourseleves would have had to build anyway. Its nothing we cant understand
when we look inside at the internals and as such thats where Open Source
becomes such a big bonus. If you find a bug/hole in Struts thats a show
stopper for you then you can fix it yourself, and you dont have to swallow
some software supplier telling you it'll be fixed in the next version in 6
months time. I think the trick is to convince managers to look at struts
differently from the typical software product scenario.

Niall

P.S. Not that I would ever have come up with anything remotely as good as