In simplest terms, Struts is a toolkit.

Or, as you say, a collection of Java classes.

Struts provides essential development mechanisms required by modern
Web applications. Without Struts, a developer needs to construct a
good number of support classes to create an application. (Java !=
FileMaker). With Struts, these support classes are already written,
tested, documented, and subjected to the peer review of thousands of
other developers.

To create an *application* with Struts, you need to write at least one
Action class, and provide a configuration file with at least one
ActionMapping.

-Ted.