On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Steven Elliott wrote:

> I have learned alot about MVC (and M2C) from this list and its authors and
> in general agree that the Struts model is a *better* way to do things (in
> lieu of the JSP and/or Servlet  and Bean design).
>
> On the otherhand I have been uncomfortable adopting the BEAN|JSP|ACTION
> paradigm because of JSP as the main component for expressing views.
> Although I also have issues with Lutris and Enhydra, I do think that XMLC
> brings a more intuitive and generalized interface to the View component
> (especially when you consider that from the XML data you can derive several
> views of the same data; cHTML, HTML, WML, et al).

Yep ... XMLC is pretty cool.

> I have no interest in beginning a war of words over the best View or
> Presentation technology available but I would like to know of any like
> mindedness and if anyone is working on a true open source implementation of
> View technology based on DOM (Xerces and Xalan) for Struts.  Although I may
> not have the technical where withall of some of the other members of this
> list I can carry coffee and would like to help.

For the general use of XML data (and XSLT transformations) in web
applications, I would definitely start by looking at the Cocoon project
<http://xml.apache.org>.  Some Struts users have used Cocoon as the view
layer for part or all of their applications.

If you are a heavy user of the Struts custom tag libraries, you will find
that this integration is not necessarily easy, because your XSLT
stylesheets have to emulate the kinds of HTML generation that the Struts
tags do.  On the other hand, for view operations that are primarily
display oriented, it should be as simple as setting up your <forward>
declarations to invoke the Cocoon servlet with the appropriate parameters
to get the output you need.

> Thanks.
>
> //*
> Steven Elliott      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]