From: Assenza, Chris [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 8:55 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: Struts with WebSphere 4.0 on Win2000

Stephen,

We aren't using VAJ (currently) so I can't vouch for the WTE, although it is
supposed to be identical to the single-server free license you can d/l from
the IBM site.

For 4.0 there ARE no long-winded "extra" steps believe it or not.  It's been
a while since I last played with it but you just need to package a J2EE
compliant EAR or WAR file and use the Application Assembly tool to "Generate
Code for Deployment" (If I recall the menu option correctly).  The DTD thing
is no longer an issue, at least from my experience. It is really quite easy.

I compiled some PRELIMINARY steps for our own application and have included
them here.  They take place after the EAR file has been made "deployable" by
the AA tool. :)  Please don't take them as the absolute only and best way to
get the job done, they stem from early experimenting. :)  Since so many
people seem to be asking I might just go home tonight and try to formalize
the whole process. :)

Brief Preliminary Deployment Instructions for WAS 4.0

·       Deploy Application
        o       Install WebSphere 4.0
        o       Once completed and system is restarted (if necessary): Start
the WebSphere service           (startServer.bat on NT, probably
startServer.sh on Unix)
        o       After the server has started, log onto the web-based
Administration Console                  (http://localhost:9090/admin).
        o       Next, expand "Nodes" on the left.
        o       Click on Enterprise Applications
        o       Click on Install
        o       Browse to the file Deployed_app.ear that you created with
the AA tool.
        o       Select the file follow the steps the console takes you
through:
                §       Click next on EJB deployment screen.
                §       Click next on the Web Module deployment screen
(change your preference on                      pre-compiling if you so
desire).
                §       On the next screen, allow WebSphere to redeploy
YourApp-ejb.jar by leaving                      the box checked and clicking
next. (ed: Not sure if this step is necessary)
                §       Review the settings and click Finish when ready.
·       Once finished, begin JDBC configuration. (for Oracle)
        o       Expand Resources in the left navigation area.
        o       Click "JDBC Drivers"
        o       Click "New"
                §       The Server Class Path is the location of
classes12.zip (Oracle's JDBC                            drivers) on the
server.
                §       Name is: "OracleJdbcDriver"
                §       Implementation Classname is:
oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleConnectionPoolDataSource
        o       Click Ok to add the driver.
                o       Expand the newly created "OracleJdbcDriver" in the
left navigation area.
        o       Click on "Data Sources"
        o       Click "New"
                §       Name is: somePool
                §       JNDI Name is: jdbc/somePool
                §       Default Userid is: someId
                §       Defaults Password is: somePass
                §       All others left blank/default.
        o       Click Ok to add the Data Source.
        o       From the Data Source screen, click on somePool.
        o       Click on Property Set (on the bottom).
        o       Click Resource Properties
        o       Click "New"
                §       Name is: URL
                §       Type is: java.lang.String
                §       Value is: jdbc:oracle:thin:user/pass@host:port:sid
                        Where:
                                ·       user/pass are the username/password
respectively
                                ·       host is the IP address of the Oracle
DB Server
                                ·       port is the port on which Oracle is
listening (ex. 1521).
                                ·       sid is the Oracle SID or name for
the database
        o       Click Ok until you've reached the Data Source Screen.
·       Complete Deployment
        o       Click "Save" on the nav-bar at the top of the screen.
        o       Select server-config.xml (or the top option) and click Ok.
        o       Stop and then restart the WebSphere AppServer.
·       Once started, go to http://someIpAddress/appname/file.jsp to test
the deployment.

-Chris

Christopher Assenza
Phone:  412.201.6026
Fax:     412.201.6060
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ACCESSDATA
Moving Your Business from Point A to Point e.SM
http://www.accessdc.com/