What I was trying to say was metaphorically speaking
comparing different boxing weight divisions.

Raw JSP Servlets is featherweight

Struts is a light weight  flyweight

Expresso is medium weight

WebSphere / Oracle AS / JBoss / Enhydra / BEA are heavy weight
because they guarantee Enterprise level features. (You can usually
start with a raw standard "J2EE Server" then buy extras like
a personalisation server or portal server.)

What I am saying is just because you are using Struts that you cant
write an enterprise level portal site like `support.dell.com'. But
you would be creaking and struggling if you did not piggy bank
Struts with J2EE features.

The increase of scale goes up (ie the weight)  with what the framework
can do. You can have high level of security, transaction integrity,
and business confidence if you choose one of J2EE app server with
the supplementary portal product.

I like what I see of Struts so far. It is lightweight it is at the level
of "intermediate web application development". It is easy to get
into. It is popular , because are two Wrox books about it already
"Programming JSP 2nd Edition" and "Web App Prog 1st Edition" (I think?).
Best of all it is an MVC framework that works, although it is not
a mission critical piece of firmware.

The last part is important because my boss, and his boss, and his boss
want to know that my development ideas are sound. I can see the
"Cost/Benefit" memo wafting over to me now.

Any one want to add categories for a super heavy division?

--
Peter Pilgrim          |  |        ++44 (0)207-545-9923