James Holmes wrote:
> Maybe the tool will be of more use to you when I add
> some more functionality.  Ideally I'd like to have
> "wizards" for common tasks.  For instance a Wizard to
> create a new form bean class from a JSP, etc.

Perhaps you could join this idea with the Struts CodeMaker. Ravi has
started work on a XML format for defining a Struts application, and
writing the code skeleton.

http://husted.com/about/struts/codemaker.htm

It can also generate classes from JSPs, as you mentioned, James. Being
able to use things like the CodeMaker from Struts Console would super!

We do really need to tweak the Struts configuration format in the 1.1
timeframe so that it is easier to merge configuration files. We need to
specifically address team programming issues, so that teams can work on
different parts of an application at the same time, and not step on each
other when it comes to the config file. I just wanted to mention that in
case it affects your design, James.

I believe the way to do this would be to add a root <struts> element,
and then allow multiple <stuts-config> elements within that. Some
initial research has been done on this, but I hear not everyone can get
this to work.

http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg10052.html

Meanwhile, the Digester can in fact write XML.

Take a look at the Channel and Item beans in the RSS package ;-) I have
in fact used these beans to write XML via the Digester. (Praise be to
Craig!)

I don't know what you are doing "under the hood", but beans for each of
the elements, as done with the RSS Channel, would be a great way to go.

Of course, we all very much hope that you will be able to release this a
ASF license soon. Of course, you can always change your mind later, so
there really isn't any downside ;-)

-- Tel +1 716 737-3463
-- http://www.husted.com/about/struts/