Hi Scott.
not that I know of.  I ended up grabbing the ServletOutputStream from the
response and streaming my file to the client that way.  On the JSP, I
create a link that points to action mapping I've designated to do the
download. Remember to set the content type of the file.  For the header, do
the following:
     response.setHeader(
         "Content-Disposition",
         "attachment; filename=\"" +
         fileName +
         "\"" );

now, a question for all those who've done this before me.  When I do this,
IE will pop up two dialog boxes in a row asking if I wish to save or open
an application to deal with the download.  Netscape will just open up a
file save dialog box.  Is there anyway to keep IE from doing the two dialog
boxes???: