On Netscape everything works as expected if I set the MIME type to
application/rtf but still doesn't work on Internet Explorer 5.0.  This
leads me to think it is the selection of my MIME type.  Basically I am
trying to download plain text.

I only get one prompt box on Netscape by the way.

Any ideas on the proper MIME type or why Internet Explorer is confused
other than it is from Microsoft.

Thanks

Scott Ryan
Developer
First Bank Data Corporation
Work: (303) 235-1485
Cell:    (303 263-3044

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 10/05/01 02:50PM >>>
I have tried the following code and am getting rather strange
behaviour.

filename = "Download.qif";
      inResponse.setContentType("text/plain");
      inResponse.setHeader("Content-disposition",
          "attachment;filename=\"" + filename + "\"");
      inResponse.addHeader("Content-description", "My Description");
      ServletOutputStream outStream = inResponse.getOutputStream();
      downloadProcessor.writeData(outStream, transactionList,
          downloadData.getAccountNumber(), accountType, fromDate,
toDate);
      outStream.flush();
      outStream.close();

When I get the box the first time if I select to download to a file
the
filename is the same as my struts do action and the file contains the
html from the screen that I am currently viewing.

If I choose instead to view the data I then get another selection box
and if I then choose to save to a file I get the correct data.

Any ideas on what I am missing

Thanks
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 10/04/01 01:14PM >>>
The "always ask..." checkbox for me is checked and greyed.  If I
choose

save to disk, then it saves fine and exits, but if I choose to open
with an
application, then the box comes up twice.  Now, if webservers can
create
the proper headers for downloads, I should be able to as well.  I just

don't know the proper "open sesame"  Tom

At 02:24 PM 10/4/2001 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi Tom,
>
>Not sure on how to stop it.  Is it something to do with the checkbox
on IE's
>File Download dialog which says "Always ask..."?
>
>Dave
>
>PS  I get 2 dialogs on netscape two!
>

>Tom Tibbetts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 10/04/2001
02:07:19
>PM
>
>Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>To:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>cc:    (bcc: David Hay/Lex/Lexmark)
>Subject:  Re: Struts capability to support file downloads
>

>Hi Scott.
>not that I know of.  I ended up grabbing the ServletOutputStream from
the
>response and streaming my file to the client that way.  On the JSP, I
>create a link that points to action mapping I've designated to do the
>download. Remember to set the content type of the file.  For the
header, do
>the following:
>      response.setHeader(
>          "Content-Disposition",
>          "attachment; filename=\"" +
>          fileName +
>          "\"" );
>
>now, a question for all those who've done this before me.  When I do
this,
>IE will pop up two dialog boxes in a row asking if I wish to save or
open
>an application to deal with the download.  Netscape will just open up
>file save dialog box.  Is there anyway to keep IE from doing the two
dialog
>boxes???:
>

>At 11:47 AM 10/4/2001 -0600, you wrote:
> >I noticed there is support in struts to allow a person to load a
file
> >from their local station to the server.
> >
> >Is there support to go the other direction?  I have an application
that
> >allows the user to download data to a file on their local system.
> >would like to create the data on the server and then pop up a
window