Hi,

  I have no ideas on an xml/xsl architecture using tiles.
  But, for dynamic portal, I have added such an example in the latest
distribution
(tiles/tutorial/dynPortal).
  This example allows to choose tiles to render in portal. You can
choose in a list
of available tiles, and move tiles between columns. It is not difficult
to extend
this example to select dynamically the layout used for the portal.

  Hope this help,

    Cedric