I believe there is a limitation to the size of the
file that can be used like this.

I don't know about performance.

There are other benefits of using tiles -- at least
for me these include dynamically creating the ui in
the controller for hierarchical input forms (forms
that are similar but differ slightly depending on user
selection or a specific criteria) and defining the
layout completely in the xml file.

- sandeep

--- Erik Hatcher