Arron Bates has just completed a taglib for allowing better nesting.

Quoting his contribution mail:
-----
For a built version and the updated example (I didn't want to send more
than was necessary to provide the source)...
http://www.keyboardmonkey.com/StrutMonkey/downloads/index.html

Updated Running example...
http://www.keyboardmonkey.com/StrutMonkey/
-----

It's not (yet?) in struts itself, but the libs as presented here are
very usable (I've used them already, and they work like a charm).

For documentation, consult the struts-dev mailinglist archives for
'Arron Bates'.

hth,
tomK