From: Brett Porter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2001 4:46 PM
To: 'Struts Users Mailing List'
Subject: RE: All the jar files cann't be read

Hi Lily,

I'm not sure which version of Tomcat you are using, but you need to read up
a bit on webapps, because it seems that the JSP's are not being handled by
Tomcat (perhaps Apache) or for some reason are being served as static files.
Tomcat 4 has some good documentation on how to set up a web application:
(should apply to 3 too). Sorry, can't send the link - jakarta.apache.org is
down :(

As for struts.jar, there is a doc on the struts site - probably in the FAQ
or kickstart FAQ, about where struts.jar can and can't be. I think it pretty
much says "must be in web application's classpath - and nothing else". So
you can't put it in the CLASSPATH variable, jre/ext/lib, or tomcat's common
lib directory - that will make it available to Tomcat, other Java classes,
and other webapps, which will make things break.

Can I suggest you try getting the examples up and running first, then use
them as a model for your own system? That's what I found easiest.

Cheers,
Brett