Cocoon and Struts are different.
Since I wanted to avoid server side production load issues (of lots of
XSLT) I emit XML from JSP to browses.

And the browses then do the XSLT FOP-like for me. This way salability is
flat, as more users use it, each user uses its own XSLT on client side.
(For older browser, need JavaScript for XSLT, but new ones do XML just fine)

(And I also use RTF instead of PDF, since RTF reader is already
installed on all OSes, and Adobe PDF has to be installed and for other
reasons I avoid Adobe . And I do not use all the FOP tags, just a few
like table and row).

Vic

(promo: my book at basebeans.com talks about XSL in a chapter)