let me take your second question first:
i used I18N tags on tomcat 1.3 they worked well and as i changed my
languages preferances on my browese to test them, all worked well.
i then tried the same on orion - i spent about 6 hours trying to figure
out why the page would appear without error but appeared blank - i had
to seperate the I18N tags at least one space away from any other tag or
figure!! wild little time waster...

as for your first question - one servlet can handle say a 'load' AND
'save' function and direct the response back to whatever type of page
you want visible and it can do it pretty well. use a command pattern to
organize the presentation and you got it.
i don't know how it'd compare with struts though. (i have a meager
example of such a command pattern around here some where - otherwise i'd
sent it to you)

hope that helps

john f