What would be most helpful is an example of your alternative approach.

The struts-config.xml itself is not really required, but is perceived as
a convenient way to initialize and configure the objects used by the
framework.

Once the objects are initalized, the struts-config is not referenced, so
sounds like you have proven this in practice.)

The purpose of the struts-config is to create the lists of ActionForms,
ActionForwards, and ActionMappings.

Many applications have many more ActionMappings than classes, so it can
become a very long list.

An XML format is perceived as the simplest way to create this list. I
doubt that this perception could be easily changed without a working
prototype.

I know that in my work, I have made significant changes and additons to
applications just by changing the struts-config, without touching a
single Java class. Personally, I perceive that as a Good Thing, but your
mileage may vary.

-- Building Java web applications with Struts.
-- Tel +1 585 737-3463.
-- Web http://www.husted.com/struts/