Subject: Re: New API specification
From: Vic Cekvenich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 ===
Hello Sandra,
In general, I would say the less technology applied in the framework the
better, but still make the framework do the heavy pulling. 80/20 staves
it should be 20 % of things you use 80% of time (so not everything). I
think it is more flexible.

I think that minimum should be: Struts MVC, container security, CRUD,
Master/Detail processing, navigation, a collection for audit tracking,
RSS for displaying content, (client side) XSLT and Tiles and not much more.

Otherwise it is a complex design that is a lawnmower that is also a
submarine and a bulldozer. Elegance is key.
(Ex: Anyone can build a bridge using lots of material and time. However
an engineer can figure out how thin a cable can be and meet the
requirements)
Jet speed is to big to be productive, or to maintain and it takes a
while to learn. Struts is just MVC, that is pretty much it. I just add
RowSet for a simple CRUD and done.
I used to think complex is more sophisticated, but found out that less
is more.

my 2 c.
Vic

ps: I will hold a Struts Class during the JavaOne, so I will have a room
that holds 60 or so. Do we want to set up a 4 hour Struts conference,
say on Thursday, have a few of us present (you, Ted, me, etc. for 30
minutes each?)

ps 2:
For the Struts group, here is a RowSet snippet CRUD that auto updates,
inserts and deletes, regardless of the number and type of columns. I
just put it in my base FromValidatorBean. Based on a select String this
knows how to update. Simple enough?

update(){try{

         dbCon(); // my method to connect to connection pool
        _crs.updateRow(); // rowSet update. _crs is what geters and
setters go against
         _crs.acceptChanges(getCon());
         dbDisCon();

         } catch (Exception e)  { procE(this,e);} // my debug method
         return 0;}