For init population put the data in the form bean passed into your perform method, the
struts tags
in your form will get the values out of the form automatically for you.

> Am I missing something?
nope - you've got it sussed. Some do it your way which I suspect might be
theoretically better
design - it makes it easier to split  the Action into 2 if required.
Some (like me) do it with 1 action. I have a hidden field hard coded on the form. If
this is
received I know the form was submitted.
Hope this helps - Keith.