> > s would really decrease render time as, when rendered as
> > xhtml, the browser looks for a closing tag and cant find it
>
> Hmm, maybe. But Struts is for rendering html, and I'm pretty sure xhtml
> and html aren't entirely compatible... (how does your IE3.0 react on
> "<br/>" ?)

have a read at: http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#guidelines
It talks about being compatible with older versions of html

Also, why would struts want to be compatible only with html when we are in the
process of migrating to a new standard (talking abt xhtml now)???
I think projects like struts should at least have support for xhtml.
It currently does only supply xml:lang in <html>.. but that cant be called
'compliance' or even 'support'

xhtml is very like html (4.0) but with compliancy towards xml.. so by only adding
those ' />' to every opening tag and by taking a glance at validator.w3.org
now and then, struts could support xhtml.

grtz

Wim Fournier