We're stumped folks.  I'm using struts templates as a way make UI
development more efficient--but we have the following issue.

Imagine a page like the following:

<%@ page language="java"  %>
<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-template.tld" prefix="template" %>

<%! String name = "bob"; %>

<head>
        <title>Untitled</title>
</head>

<template:insert template="/web/jsp/templates/testTemplate.jsp" >

<template:put name="layout" content="layout.jsp" />

</template:insert>

The problem is in the content file "gotten" by the template
--layout.jsp--contains the expression

<%= name %>

We consistently get "symbol not found" compilation errors. Can it really be
that templates are good for the inclusion of only static content? We'd like
to use templates to include JSP content that contains expressions.

Also, we've tried <jsp:expression> etc.

Please help..

James Erb
Director of Web Development