---------------------------------------- Message History

From: Sean Owen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 28/01/2002 09:40 EST

Please respond to "Struts Users Mailing List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

cc:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:  Re: Only one logged in session at a time for each user

You should store their current session ID in some kind of
persistent store, like you say. Then I would suggest that if
they log in a second time, that you invalidate the *old* session
and let them continue with new one. I've seen that approach used
on a large public web site.

Sean

On Sunday, January 27, 2002, at 08:01  PM, Antony Stace wrote:

> Hi
>
> I want the users in a Struts application to be only logged in
> once at any one time.  What is the
> best way to go about this.  I was thinking that I can have have
> some sort of record in (an application
> wide bean)/(a database record)/(the logon action) that keeps
> track of who is logged on and when the log on process
> happens this record is checked, if the user is already logged
> on then don't let them log on again.  The problem
> I can see with this is that this works fine if the user logs
> out of the application through a logout
> action - the logout action can simply clear the record of the
> user being logged in.  But if the users browser crashes, they
> reboot
> the machine, they simply restart the browser then this record
> will not be cleared and thus they will not be able to log in.
>  I cannot think of how I can
> implement a mechanism to ensure only one log in at a time.  The
> thought of adding some sort of timeout value
> seems a little nasty, since I hate it when I go to a site and I
> am told I am alread logged in, please try back in
> 10 minutes.
>
> Any ideas folks on how to handle this?
>

> --
>

> Cheers
>
> Tony
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:struts-user-
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender
immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or