---------------------------------------- Message History

From: "Steven Banks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 06/02/2002 08:58 AST

Please respond to "Struts Users Mailing List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

To:   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc:
Subject:  RE: bean passing

Stephen:

Your answer is a solution to a problem I have been trying to grasp for awhile.  We use
a connection pool and I was trying to figure out how to page through large resultsets
without having to rerun the entire query and then move through the resultset to the
correct position each time.  If I understand your solultion correctly, it does what I
have been struggling to learn.  Would it be possible for you to include some sample
code?

Thanks in advance

Steven Banks

>>> "Stephen Owens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 02/05/02 02:34PM >>>
Mike,

This is a deeper question that goes back to your model and the search
implementation I think.

I tend to keep around only the position within the result set, usually
using a 'pager' bean that calculates where I'm at, how many to display,
and where to go next/previous. When my action gets the pager values
back, it recomputes the search results, and makes them available to the
view for display. So the actual search results are not persisted between
requests. I have found that persisting large result sets is too
inefficient in DB and memory resources.

regards,

Stephen Owens
Corner Software

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender
immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or