I would suggest using the Commons Logging Package
(http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging.html).
This is a generic interface to logging packages.  If
Log4J is detected, it will use it.

excerpt from the website:
"The Logging package is an ultra-thin bridge between
different logging libraries. Commons components may
use the Logging API to remove compile-time and
run-time dependencies on any particular logging
package, and contributors may write Log
implementations for the library of their choice."

David