Thanks for all of the responses. They've gotten away from my original
question just a bit.

Assuming that I am using the Commons Logging package/Log4j in my beans, and I
want to log something to the Tomcat log file, how can the bean obtain the
output stream for the Tomcat log file in a webapp framework independent way
--- i.e. I don't want to pass the ActionServlet object to the bean and use
its log method, as the bean would then be tied to a particular web
application framework (in this case, Struts), which would inhibit its
reusability. Instead, I would want to pass something more generic,
java.io.OuputStream-like, to the bean, so that it can use whatever logging
package I have chosen to log to this stream. The question is really, how do I
obtain the java.io.OutputStream for the Tomcat log file in my Struts action
class so that I can pass it as a parameter to my bean methods.

Charlie