I am not sure to understand your problem then.

In my case we have roles instead of fruit.  We have an activity that have
more then one participant and each participant can have more then one role.

[X]Organizer
[ ]Speaker
[ ]Attendee
[ ]Sponsor
... etc

My ActionForm contains a participant bean that has a role property define as
String[] role;

The array of string gets populated properly with the option checked.

Sorry if this is not what you are looking for, it just seems really similar.

David Gaulin
Tel / tél :(613) 946-9595
Email / courriel : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Facsimile / télécopieur : (613) 954-6012
Industry Canada | 235 Queen Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0H5
Industry Canada | 235, rue Queen, Ottawa (Ontario)  K1A 0H5