A couple weeks ago there has been an intense discussion on
this list about the use of EJB. Many people were quite
critical or at least cautious about EJB. I'd appreciate if
some of you could share what alternative component
architectures/frameworks you are using.

I'm now starting on a new web project where distribution and
transactions, two of EJB's main feature, are no requirements.
The application is a web-based collaborative system with a
rather complex application logic but little database involvement.
There will be clients using HTML/HTTP and other using a SOAP-
like protocol. I am planning on using Struts for the Web-tier
and am looking for a component framework to implement the business
logic/data tier. If feel that EJBs wouldn't be the right technology
for this but am wondering what alternatives are. The things I
would like to see in such a component framework are:
- component life cycle support
- support for component relationships
- component naming and lookup
- authorization mechanism
- web request dispatching
- subscription/notification service
- logging
- configuration
- persistence
- some modularization concept
- some error handling concept

How are you implementing this? Any framework you can recommend?
Thanks for sharing!

Gabe

--
Gabriel Sidler
Software Engineer, Eivycom GmbH, Zurich, Switzerland