1 - http://myserver/my-web-app/admin/reload.do
reloads ApplicationResources & I think struts-config. If I haven't recompiled
any classes it works for me.
On Tomcat it goes wonky if I've re-compiled so I have to restart.
This is if thoe entries for admin unctions are in your struts-config.xml. They
can be copied from the struts-blank webapp.

2 - webappcabaret & others (WantJava) effectively give you a safe JVM.
They give you 1 web-app & your own Servlet context so you are safe to deploy
classes etc.
Presumabaly with Unix security they can protect disk files outside you
directory tree & they must give each context it's own JVM - I get a feeling it
might me a 'virtual' JVM. I recall they had the details on their site.
You can no longer get this stuff free - but the rates aren't huge.
I recall webappcabaret won't let a pool of people share a site - you have to
each pay.
I deployed a trial system on WantJava 18 months ago & they were fine. This was
servlets/jsp & a JDBC database (Maybe oracle).
Keith.

=====