Maybe a struts-newbie mailing list would be a good idea? I've seen such
newbie mailing lists work for other topics. Kicking it off requires a
bit of input from experts but once a generation of newbies has become
non-newbies, they hang around on the list for a while answering real
newbies until they got bored and then they're replaced by other
graduating newbies.

Just an idea, if resources are available.

Adam