Under Struts 1.1b, you could probably use the same approach that is used
to store ActionForm properties in a map.

    private Map values = null;

    public void setValues(Map values) {
        this.values = values;
    }
    public Map getValues() {
        return this.values;
    }

    public void setValue(String key, Object value) {
        getValues().put(key,value);
    }
    public Object getValue(String key) {
        return getValues().get(key);
    }

"Struts Newsgroup (@Basebeans.com)" wrote:

> Subject: Getting an object from a Hashtable
> From: "Scott Curtis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  ===
> Hi,
>
> I want to be able to check the value of a property held within a hashtable
> using a Struts tag such as <logic:equal />. For example I have a Hashtable
> which contains a collection of JavaBeans. In the JSP I know the key for each
> object in the Hashtable. I want to be able to select an object from the
> Hashtable according to a specified key and then compare a property value in
> the returned object using it's getter.
>
> Something along these lines:
>
> MyBean contains a Hashtable called myHash full of JavaBean conformant
> objects. MyBean has a getter to return the Hashtable getMyHash(). Each of
> the objects in the Hashtable is of type AnotherBean and they all have
> getters and setters. I want to get an object from the Hashtable using the
> key "obj1". The bean returned using "obj1" has a 'valid' property with a
> getter isValid().
>
> This is what I want to do but it doesn't work obviously because Hashtable
> isn't a bean that can be queried from property getters and setters:
>
> <logic:equal name="MyBean" property="myHash.obj1.valid" value="false">
>     Do something here.
> </logic:equal>
>
> Is there another tag I can use to first get the AnotherBean from myHash in
> order for it to be used in the tag above? So basically me question is really
> simply how can I get an object from a Hashtable using Struts tags or any
> other tags out there? I don't want to iterate the Hashtable by the way.
>
> Thanks, if anyone understands that and can help. :-)
>  - scott

-- Ted Husted, Husted dot Com, Fairport NY US
-- Developing Java Web Applications with Struts
-- Tel: +1 585 737-3463
-- Web: http://husted.com/about/services