The best stategy will depend on what else is going on with your
application.

The ActionForm is really part of the control layer and so can interact
with objects on both the presentation and business layers.

A generally useful approach is to put a factory method on the ActionForm
that returns your value object.

This neatly encapsulates the data transfer. All the Action has to do is
call the method and pass along the result.

Which I guess is your #2.

-- Ted Husted, Husted dot Com, Fairport NY US
-- Developing Java Web Applications with Struts
-- Tel: +1 585 737-3463
-- Web: http://husted.com/about/services