Subject: Re: Value object doubt !!!
From: Vic C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 ===
Steel, Toby wrote:
> We do things a little differently to avoid code so much duplication
> between form bean and value object. There is no data conversion as
> a value object is always the vehicle for data delivery.
>
> The form bean holds a data value object(DVO), and every String field of the
> DVO

Similar design. My aproach was FormBean that has a DAO in the example,
you have a form bean that has a DVO.

> (no validation of input in setter method) is accessed directly on populate
> via an accessor to the DVO, getDvo().

The point of MVC is to "hide" the implementation of the model. The
presentation view should know nothing about how the form bean is
implemented. So maybe a simpler getter.

> Any field that does require validating input (integers, dates, postalCodes,
> more
> complex objects) has a data holder object in the form bean, along with
> get/set for the holder.
> These holder objects all take string input and have a validate method called
> within
> the form bean validate method.

Do you do client side validation using the Struts validator frame work
and regular expersions? Or Server side still using struts-validator.xml?
With the simpler getter, Struts could do validation for you.

> The form bean's getDvo() method populates the DVO from the holder objects
> while setDvo() sets the holder objects from the DVO.

Again very similar at this higher level. I have a populate method that
asks DAO to retrieve. You hava a getDVO that :
-(OK here we differ:)
holder beans that get data from EJBs, and deal with multi rows master
detail CRUD and multi row validation?

> This works very well, and we can add to our data model without doing
> anything
> other than adding to the CMP mapping

One day someone should tell me how they dealt with CMP issues listed at
softwarereality.com becuase I just gave up trying and wasting clients
money ( I could have kept billing the client by prologing the pain but
that is not what I do)
CMP is yet another bean that maybe could be eliminated.
Would you do CMP again?
I like SQL better than EQL.