As long as you've got connection pooling and a decent piece of hardware,
you should be able to carry out all the non-trivial database queries you
require, given an average application requirement.

The amount of user information you hold in their session is limited to
the amount of available memory you have, divided by the expected
absolute maximum number of concurrent sessions you predict.

I am curious though due to the way you phrase you question, are you
contemplating balancing the session memory usage against database usage
dynamically?

And another question, how much user info can you have in your
application that is static enough to hold in their session?

Regards
Adam