Subject: Re: Sorry vic: Please do Explain
From: Vic C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 ===
No need to thank to keep un needed trafic low. You can say if you want
TIA (thanks in advance) on the post and not target a certain
person(unless you have a paid techincal support contract and then it's
not on this list).  Anyone can contribute and a person you are asking
might not be available.

Inline:

vivek shrivastava wrote:

> I am try to understand DB sample. please someone help me to
> undesatnd.
>
> I am not able to understand how are you pupulating/creating a page for
> 'NameHistLstBean' bean?. once you have retrieve the row(s) using
> following line of code:
>
>          this.nameHistDAO.retrieve(aid)

The bean asks it's DAO to populate, that's all, based on a key. This
just populates the bean and has nothing to do with the page.
In fact you can unit test the bean and it's getters from a console app.
and it is a good practice to unit test things like this. So just a bean.

> i also do not understand the following line in struts-config.xml
>
> <forward name="display" path="histLst.portDef" />

".portDef" is what you define your tiles layout definitions.
Path is what will be retruned, sometimes a JSP.
It is a good practice to return tiles definitions instead of JSP pages.
  Tiles let you have more control over layouts. The tiles defintions are
defined in a tiles config . xml (look in struts.confi). You can call
your definitions what ever you want, I used ".portDef" for portal
definitions, since tiles realy do let you make MVC portals.
There is a tiles.war sample with full documentation that ships with struts.