The Struts framework is not responsible for 'detecting' problems in the
business tier. It however can be notified of any problems and take the
corresponding action. For example, if your business object executes a query
to logon a user and the connection hangs, the business object should throw
an exception and propogate it to the presentation tier (Struts) where it can
be handled (redirect/forward the user to the appropriate error page).

robert