What are you using to view the file?
Notepad?

If so, or you just want a quick way to view it (outside of the Console), use
Textpad.
http://www.textpad.com

It's a serious text editor with everything from 'go to' line and/or column,
macros for re-use of common tasks, search and replace using regular
expressions [based on POSIX standard P1003.2, but the syntax can be that of
POSIX, or UNIX extended regular expressions (the default)], block text
selection and SORTING!!!

I usually associate .xml so that I get syntax highlighting.
It's not an IDE, but it has limited support for running javac with 'jump to'
for compile errors.

James Mitchell
Software Engineer\Struts Evangelist
Struts-Atlanta, the "Open Minded Developer Network"
http://struts-atlanta.open-tools.org