There's another tool / persistence layer I've been playing with called
DMLDataAccess.  It seems to be fashioned somewhat after NeXT/Apple's
EOF.  There's a GUI modeler tool, as well.  I believe the download is
compiled for J2SE 1.4, although I think versions to support older JDK's
are available.

http://www.redshift.com/~lehrian/DMLDataAccess/

Matthew