Andrew Hill wrote:

>Personally I think JSPs are the devils work (mixing code and layout/chrome
>like that. Yuck!) - but the idea of writing servlets with lots of printlns()
>is absolutely obscene. The sort of thing that would give HP Lovecraft
>nightmares!

Hehehe - they'll have to hog-tie me and beat me into submission before I
do it willingly ...

... but they save TWO SECONDS on each request!!!!!!! LOL - what
justification ;-)

>Instead of JSP Im using XHTML and inserting my dynamic content into DOMs. No
>ugly mixing of code and layout.
>All the dynamic stuff is done in a good clean pure java classes, while the
>layout is in nice well formed xhtml.
>And yes! this IS a struts based application! - thats one of the great things
>about doing mvc with struts - you arent tied to using JSP as your
>presentation technology (though the wealth of tags struts provided makes it
>very tempting.)

Yes, struts is super when it comes to flexibility :-)  Personally,
having the view that each developer is responsible for the quaity and
correctness of whatever he turns out, I don't mind JSPs for
presentation.  I mean - I know what good and bad is - I choose good.
 It's kind of like when I was in college and one of my peers said
something about arrays in C not having bounds-checking.  This came up
because there was a BOOK teaching people that ARRAYS IN C START AT 1!  LOL

What it comes down to is knowing your tools, knowing how to use them to
the best of your ability, and being willing not to compromise on things
that "really matter".  Scriplets in JSP, IMHO, really matter - they
don't belong there.  I'd rather have JSPs than have the overhead of
having to dynamically translate XML into something else for each request
(that _is_ how it works, right?)  Just use them "correctly" and there's
no issue :-)  This is why organizations have policy - to enforce things
like this.  Make a policy :-)

Peace,

Eddie