I'm not sure the answer is no. Struts is not tied to forwarding to a jsp, or
any other type of resource for that matter. In fact you can simply return
null from an action and have the action generate the response itself. You
may need to think about your problem a little differently (???), but if you
write a client that understands the servlet request/response paradigm then
you should be able to engineer a solution that uses the struts framework for
the server side...

Good Luck,

Troy