A general strategy would be to have a "set up" action which populates your
form or
retrieves data and places it in the appropriate scope and then forwards to
the page.

For example: If I want to display a page which allows a user to edit their
account, I would
have a showEdit action to prepare the page (retrieve existing user account
info, populate
the form) and then an edit action to save any changes.

HTH,

robert