From: Eddie Bush [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 12:25 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [NEWBIE] STRUTS, TC and JDBC Realm

This was discussed some time ago.  There are a couple of solutions:
    *  There is a security-filter project on sourceforge to address this
    *  You can setup a redirect action that is secure (thus it will
invoke the CMA) and have it setup so that your redirect action just
redirects to wherever you specified by a parmeter
(?redirectURL=/some/path/action.do for example).
        You could take this a step further and make your login page
"smart" with JavaScript to set attributes/submit the form automatically
in a given circumstance.
    * There are JAAS solutions.

I hear the security-filter (requires servlet spec 2.3 compliant
container -- filters didn't exist before then) project is working
nicely.  The usage of it "integrates" well too -- everything act just
like you were using CMA.  One of the big advantages is that you gain the
ability to configure/deploy your realm with your application.  Should
you want to deploy your application somewhere that they do not allow you
to add to their server configuration (which is a prerequisite for using
CMA), you're able to.

HTH,

Eddie

Dan Payne wrote:

>Trying to deploy an application with Struts 1.0.1 with Tomcat 4.0.4 using
>Tomcat's JDBC realm for user authentication. Trying to avoid an "Invalid
>direct reference to form login page." Need to make a login page available
>the Realm (/users/login/index.jsp) but also want to offer the opportunity
>login on the site's home page (/home.do).  Here's what I've got:
>
>web.xml
>-------
>  <security-constraint>
>    <web-resource-collection>
>       <web-resource-name>Email List Subscriptions</web-resource-name>
>       <url-pattern>/emailLists/subscribe.do</url-pattern>
>    </web-resource-collection>
>
>    <auth-constraint>
>       <role-name>user</role-name>
>    </auth-constraint>
>  </security-constraint>
>
> <login-config>
>   <auth-method>FORM</auth-method>
>   <form-login-config>
>       <form-login-page>/users/login/index.jsp</form-login-page>
>       <form-error-page>/users/login/error.jsp</form-error-page>
>   </form-login-config>
> </login-config>

For additional commands, e-mail: