Ok, I know anyone has a custom solution for this very problem but I think we should
find a
general one, why reinventing the wheel? We've a couple of great paging taglib so I
think
we need to interface to them instead of recode everything.

1- The taglibs need the data stored in the session (which is not that bad, perhaps it
doesn't
scale exceptionally)
2- The data should be a collection of beans (usually)
3- the user really doesn't need more than 15/30 records at once

so I think we need to code a "virtual collection", this object simulates millions of
records but
only has 30/40 records cached, when the taglib request a record and the collection
gets a
miss (a not cached data) it should retrieve new data from the db (using the
application db
pool), same thing when the taglib request a sort.
The code should be general enough to interface to various db and pools.

What do you think?