I think the real key to what you are asking is "if you're going to use XML
at all", or really, if your web app is XML-centric. Many (most?) web apps
with complex back end needs are not going to be manipulating their model
data in XML. That means that "instead of having to pass all your data to the
presentation servlet in beans", you would have to construct an XML document
(e.g. a DOM) to do that, for your approach to work.

Certainly, if your web app really is XML-centric, then there are numerous
other approaches that might work well. But if your model is already based on
beans (EJB or otherwise), then JSP and Struts provide a big boost in putting
your app together.

--
Martin Cooper