On Sat, 2002-09-07 at 08:35, John Nicholas wrote:
> Ferran Parra wrote:
> > Hi is the SAP DB open source database a good DBMS?? why not is popular than mysql??
> > thanks
> > Ferran Parra
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > http://www.mubimedia.com
> > MUBIMEDIA S.L.
> > C/ Mallorca, 275, 1r 2a 08008 BCN
> > Tel: 93 215 21 91 / Fax: 93 215 41 21
> >

> 1) hasn't been open as long
> 2) mysql is "good enough" for most people
> 3) reputation for being difficult to install
> 4) more people know mysql so it's easier to get help if you get stuck
>
> John

1) Since Oct 2000. Has been around for a very long time as a commercial
enterprise database.
2) Why settle for "good enough" when something which rivals Oracle's
feature-set is available.
3) Specify three directories prompted by a script is not hard.
4) Hard to dispute that one. However I had linux issue, got to the
bottom of it with lengthy mail list archives. there's an example script
in the install which build a frsh databse, creates uses & tables, and
another to drop the entire instance. There's more than enough there to
play with.

Some more $0.02