[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Yup, we looked at overall size of the JSP as well, and the association with
> performance was definitely number of bm/bw tags within a single JSP rather
> than overall JSP size.  We even tried editing the generated servlet code
> and adding big unused methods to see if the problem had to do with
> generated servlet file size.  That would kind've made sense, but was a
> negative.  I believe we also tried a tag that just did a sysout rather than
> any kind of memory lookup (hashtable or properties file) and found that
> this performance quirk in the sun vm did not appear in that case.

I tried to be clever. I once created <xenonsoft:contextPath/>
tag 14 months ago. I learnt to my cost the amount of java
code it generated.

JSP bloat.

I use scriptlets and JSP include fragment to cut the size

<% // Fragment
        String contextPath = request.getContextPath();
  %>

<@include page="init.jsp" >

--
Peter Pilgrim         +-----\ +-++----++----+
Java Technologist     |     | | ||    ||    | 'n' Shine
       /_  _\  "Up"    | | | | | ||    ||    | is coming
<home page="http://www.xenonsoft.demon.co.uk/"; />